After being indoors throughout Winter we are all getting fed up with our home decor.I have been thinking about a bit of a brighten up or a change to get ready for Spring – which is less than a month away!Are you with me?Let’s go!
Before you begin..
- Be prepared to find beauty in what you have.
- Don’t have fixed ideas on what is “proper” decor or what is art.Shells,driftwood from the beach,an old tin have as much value and beauty in the home as any item you can buy.It’s all in the placement.
- There is always space for those items you are passionate about.
- Think about what you would like to achieve and how you can achieve it.
- Consider which piece is the focal piece in a room.The focal piece is usually the largest item of furniture.
- Build your theme/style around the focal piece.
- Stick to one or two basic colours to accessorize the focal piece.
- Add cushions and scatter rugs in your new basic colours.
- Add occasional vases,works of art,books or different pieces in your new basic colours.
- Re-arrange or replace the artwork on your walls.
- Add some new table lamps or an upright lamp for warmer lighting.
- Replace your curtains if you can afford it – if not then brighten up with some tassels/tie backs.
- Foliage.Foliage.Foliag-always adds life to a room.Raid the garden for a bunch of interesting branches and place in a huge vase.Buy a bunch of flowers.Bring in some leafy pot plants or artificial plants.
- Add a pot of herbs in the kitchen.
- De-clutter each room.Grab a basket and make your way through each room and be ruthless.Store items,throw them out or donate them to charity.
- Springclean.That’s right.Give each room a good clean.Ceiling fans,walls,light fittings and mirrors.
- Deodorize the carpets and vacuum thoroughly.
- Remove any cobwebs from corners.
- Dust all the furniture and ornaments.
- Clean the windows and wash the curtains.
Photos courtesy of http://www.dzzineer.macmate.me/dZine/Res._1.html#0
- Decorating Makeover : colours (sajavatghar.wordpress.com)
- MyMove™ – Living Room Decor Ideas: Where to Begin (mymove.com)
- Get Great Gatsby’s Sophistication with Vintage Home Decorations (personalcreations.com)
- Say Yes to Less with Minimalist Decorating Tips (apartmentguide.com)
- Powerful color schemes: Red, black and white (homeandhearthmagazine.com)
- Affordable Home Decorating Tips (redenvelope.com)